Asparagus and spinach soup
Author: British Asparagus
- 12 spears British asparagus, trimmed and finely chopped
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 50g unsalted butter
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 800ml vegetable stock
- 100g spinach
- 4 tbsp crème fraîche
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped chives
- Remove the 4 best asparagus heads and set aside to use as a garnish.
- Trim and finely chop the rest.
- Heat a little olive oil and butter in a saucepan over a low heat, add the onion and garlic and sweat for 5 mins.
- Add the chopped asparagus and sweat for another 2-3 mins.
- Add the stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 20 mins.
- Add the spinach and simmer for 2 mins more, remove from the heat and blitz until smooth with a stick blender.
- Mix the crème fraîche with chopped chives and a little salt and pepper.
- Pour the soup into bowls and garnish each with some of the chive crème fraîche and an asparagus head.