Spicy shrimp Scotch egg with Sriracha mayonnaise
Author: Jack Catheral
- 4 eggs
- 1 large shallot, diced
- 250g peeled tiger prawns
- 1 red chilli
- 1 green chilli
- 1 tsp red Thai paste
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- handful chopped coriander
- ½ lime, zested
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 egg, beaten
- 100g panko breadcrumbs
- Sriracha mayonnaise, to serv
- Boil the eggs for 5 mins, immediately plunge into cold water and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, overnight if possible to firm up.
- Fry shallots lightly until tender and in a food processor pulse the prawns until fine.
- Fold through the chilli, Thai paste, garlic paste, coriander, lime zest and flour and put the mixture in the fridge for 30 mins.
- Take a handful of the mixture, press into your hand to make it flat, put an egg in the centre, roll the mixture around to cover it, then shape into a ball.
- Repeat with all 4 eggs, wrap in cling film and refrigerate.
- Heat vegetable oil in a pan until hot (to test, drop in a few breadcrumbs - if the oil sizzles and they rise to the top it’s hot enough).
- Remove eggs from the fridge, roll in beaten egg then panko breadcrumbs and carefully place in the oil.
- Cook for about 5 mins, moving around in the oil, until golden.
- Serve with a good shop-bought Sriracha mayo.