Shakshuka(Tunisian baked eggs)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large red pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes + ½ tsp
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander + to garnish
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 to 6 eggs
- crumbled feta, to finish
- Greek yoghurt and warm sourdough
- Preheat oven to 190C/Gas 5.
- Heat the oil in a large oven-proof pan over a medium heat.
- Add onion and pepper and cook, stirring, for 4-6 mins, until the onions are tender.
- Add garlic, tomato purée, cumin, paprika and red pepper flakes.
- Cook, stirring, for 2 mins.
- Add tomatoes and chopped fresh coriander and simmer gently for 5 mins.
- Turn off heat, season with pepper, and use the back of a spoon to make a well near the edge and crack an egg into it.
- Gently spoon a bit of the tomato mixture over the white to help contain the egg.
- Repeat with the remaining eggs and sprinkle a little salt and pepper over.
- Transfer pan to the oven and bake for 8-12 mins until the egg whites are opaque.
- Remove from oven, top with crumbled feta, fresh coriander leaves, and more red pepper flakes if desired.
- Serve in bowls with Greek yoghurt and warm sourdough.