- For the buns
- 300ml whole milk
- 6 cardamom pods, husks removed and seeds ground
- 50g unsalted butter
- 450g plain flour
- 7g fast-action yeast
- 50g caster sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp demerara sugar
- 50g icing sugar
- For the filling
- 100g salted butter, softened
- 80g soft dark brown sugar
- 3 tsp ground cinnamon
- Put milk and the cardamom seeds in a pan over a medium heat and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat, stir in butter and set aside.
- Sift flour, yeast, caster sugar and salt into a bowl.
- Add 1 egg and then the milk mixture and stir to form a sticky dough.
- Place on a lightly oiled surface and knead for 10 mins (it is sticky, but don’t add flour).
- Place in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with a tea towel and leave in a warm place for 30 mins or until doubled in size.
- Place on a lightly floured surface, dust with a little more flour and roll into a rectangle shape.
- For the filling, beat the butter with soft dark brown sugar and ground cinnamon, and spread evenly over the dough.
- Starting with a long edge, roll the dough into a sausage shape, finishing with the seam on top.
- Cut into 12 even pieces around 3cm each.
- Place buns in a greased roasting tin, cover with a tea towel and leave in a warm place for 30 mins or until the buns have puffed up and the sides are touching.
- Preheat oven to 180C/Gas 4. Beat the remaining egg and brush over the buns.
- Sprinkle with 1 tbsp demerara sugar and bake for 16-18 mins. Leave in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn onto a wire rack to cool.