Jersey Royals and grilled asparagus with Caesar dressing, anchovies and Parmesan
Author: Thomasina Miers for jerseyroyals.co.uk
- 500g Jersey Royal new potatoes, scrubbed clean, larger ones halved
- 400g asparagus, tough ends snapped off
- For the dressing:
- 1 small garlic clove
- 7 anchovy fillets, 4 finely chopped, 3 cut in half lengthways
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 heaped tsp Dijon mustard
- Juice of ½ lemon
- ½ tbsp red wine vinegar
- 5 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
- 35g grated Parmesan, plus shavings to serve
- To serve:
- 2 baby gems, leaves separated
- A handful of dill, chopped
- Put the Jersey Royal new potatoes in a pan of cold salted water and boil for 12-15 mins until tender.
- Chop, then crush the garlic and anchovies together with a little salt to make a paste. Transfer to a mixing bowl and whisk in the egg yolk, mustard, lemon and vinegar. Once these are incorporated whisk in the olive oil. Stir in the grated Parmesan and season to taste – remember that once it is mixed with the Jersey Royal new potatoes and salad the saltiness will be greatly reduced.
- Once the Jersey Royal new potatoes are tender, drain, then toss in the dressing.
- Heat a griddle pan over a medium-high heat or turn on the grill. When smoking, hot griddle or grill the asparagus, rolling them over to char them on all sides. Remove them as they become grilled and tender, about 4-6 mins. Keep warm.
- Arrange the leaves in a large, wide bowl and top with the Jersey Royal new potatoes and asparagus, drizzling the leaves and asparagus spears with the dressing in the bottom of the Jersey Royal new potato bowl. Drape over the anchovy halves and scatter with Parmesan shavings. Drizzle with a little extra oil and serve warm.