Author: Bouchon Bistrot
- 150g sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- For the custard
- 4 whole eggs
- 110g sugar
- ½ vanilla pod
- 500ml milk
- For the caramel, heat sugar in a heavy-bottomed saucepan until it reaches a caramel colour (do this carefully and keep an eye on it as it will change suddenly).
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the water to stop the cooking.
- Divide the caramel between 6 ramekins.
- For the custard, whisk the eggs with the sugar until you have a thick and creamy mixture.
- Add the vanilla seeds from the pod.
- Bring the milk to the boil and pour it over the egg mix, whisk until fully incorporated.
- Divide between the ramekins.
- Heat the oven to 150C/Gas 2 and cook in a bain marie for 40 mins.
- Chill for a few hours.
- Take the crème caramel out of the moulds with a fine knife or leave in the moulds for authentic style.
- Serve with a biscuit.