Pesto and goats’ cheese mushroom burgers with caramelised shallot topping
- 4 large portobello mushrooms
- 16 shallots, peeled and quartered
- 8 tbsp pesto, plus a little extra
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sugar
- 170g round soft goats’ cheese
- Remove stalks from mushrooms and chop very finely.
- Finely chop one of the shallots and mix it and the chopped mushroom stalks with the pesto.
- Place the whole mushrooms gill side up on the barbecue, fill with the pesto mix and cook for approx 15 mins until softened.
- For the topping, put the rest of the shallots in a pan with the olive oil and sugar, cook over a low heat until softened and lightly caramelised.
- Top the mushrooms with the goats’ cheese and return to the BBQ for a couple of mins until the cheese is beginning to melt.
- Serve in the split ciabatta topped with the shallots and an extra drizzle of pesto.