- 4 large beetroot, peeled
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- freshly ground sea salt
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 large onion
- 2 sticks celery
- 3 cloves garlic
- 400ml vegetable stock
- 400ml milk
- 2 tbsp hot horseradish sauce from a jar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Greek yoghurt/crème fraiche
- sunflower seeds/mixed seeds
- beetroot leaves
- Preheat oven to 180C/Gas 5.
- Peel and trim beetroot, cut into quarters and place in a roasting tray.
- Drizzle with olive oil and freshly ground sea salt and roast for 25 mins or until tender.
- Melt butter in a heavy-based saucepan, add onion, celery and garlic and saute gently until tender (not coloured).
- Add beetroot and stock and simmer gently for 10 mins.
- Add milk, horseradish and lemon juice, whiz with a stick blender until smooth, and simmer for another 5-10 mins.
- Serve with a dollop of Greek yoghurt or crème fraiche, a sprinkling of mixed seeds and fresh torn beetroot leaves.