Hungarian Mushroom Soup
Author: Jane Pikett
- 4 tbsp butter
- 8-10 whole shallots, peeled
- 500g mushrooms (any type) chopped
- 500ml mushroom or vegetable stock
- 100ml white wine
- 2 tsp dried dill
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp paprika
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 200ml milk
- 2 tbsp flour
- 50ml sour cream + more to garnish
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley
- Melt butter in a large, heavy based saucepan, add onions and saute gently until tender (not colouring).
- Add mushrooms and saute until tender and golden.
- Add dill, thyme, paprika, stir in and cook over a low heat for 3 mins.
- Pour in stock, soy sauce and wine, simmer until reduced by half. Whisk flour into the milk until smooth, add to the pan and simmer gently for 10 mins until thickened.
- Stir in sour cream and lemon juice.
- Serve with parsley and a dollop of sour cream.