Warm aubergine, tomato and freekeh salad
- 250g freekeh
- 400g echalion shallots, peeled and halved
- 4 small or 2 large aubergines
- ½ tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 400g vine cherry tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp baharat
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 50g flat leaf parsley leaves
- Heat the freekeh according to pack instructions and set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4. Line a large roasting tin with baking parchment, add the shallots and aubergines, sprinkle with the paprika, drizzle with the olive oil and shake the tin to mix. Prick the aubergines a few times with a sharp knife, cover the tin with foil and roast for 1 hour.
- Remove the foil. Pour off most of any cooking liquid in the bottom of the tin, add the tomatoes and roast for 20 mins or until the tomatoes have split.
- For the dressing, combine the crushed garlic, vinegar and baharat with the extra virgin olive oil. Finely chop a small handful of the parsley and stir in.
- Place the cooked freekeh in a bowl. Gently fold in the shallots, tomatoes and remaining parsley along with any juices from the roasting tray. Serve an aubergine (or half if they are large) per person on the freekeh and shallot mixture, with the dressing spooned over.