Barbecued asparagus with salsa verde
Serves: 4 + 1 small jar
- ½ garlic clove
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 4 anchovies in oil (not salt)
- 30g flat leaf parsley leaves
- 30g basil leaves
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp capers
- 150ml olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 echalion shallots
- 500g asparagus
- For the salsa, place garlic, vinegar, anchovies, parsley, basil, lemon zest, capers and olive oil in a blender, blitz until combined but still coarse and season with salt and pepper. Store in a sterilised jar until needed.
- Chop echalions lengthways into quarters, drizzle with olive oil and cook on a hot barbie until tender and slightly charred.
- Trim and lightly oil the asparagus spears and barbecue for 2-3 mins until charred.
- Arrange asparagus and echalions on a plate, spoon over salsa and serve.