Simon Osborne is a master butcher at the award-winning Blagdon Farm Shop. In 2018 he was crowned the inaugural National Game Champion for his work sourcing and promoting game.
Blagdon Farm Shop, Milkhope Centre, Berwick Hill Road, Blagdon NE13 6DA, tel 01670 789 924, www.theblagdonfarmshop.co.uk
This is a mid-week go-to for me during the winter months. Quick, easy to prepare and with just the right amount of warming, spicy paprika. Perfect with a cold fruity Saison.
- 500g skinless chicken thigh fillets, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 tbsp plain flour, well seasoned
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 green pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 ½ tbsp paprika (not smoked)
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 400g tin cherry tomatoes
- 300ml chicken stock
- small bunch flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- To serve:
- soured cream
- Toss the chicken with the seasoned flour.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large deep non-stick frying pan and sear in batches until golden.
- Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the onion, garlic, celery and carrot.
- Cook for 10-12 mins or until soft and golden at the edges.
- Add pepper and cook for 6-8 mins or until soft.
- Return chicken to the pan, add spices, tomatoes and stock.
- Cover and simmer for 45 mins until the chicken is tender and the sauce thickens.
- Stir in the parsley and serve with soured cream.