Pastel de nata (Portuguese egg tart)
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg yolks
- 115g golden caster sugar
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 400ml full fat milk
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 strips unwaxed lemon zest
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 sheet ready rolled puff pastry
- icing sugar and ground cinnamon to serve
- Lightly grease a 12-hole muffin tin.
- Put whole egg, egg yoks, sugar and cornflour in a pan and mix together, then gradually add the milk until smooth.
- Add cinnamon stick and lemon zest, place over a medium heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Remove from heat, add vanilla extract, place in a bowl and set aside to cool covered with cling film to prevent a skin forming.
- Place pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface, cut in half and place one half on top of the other.
- Roll into a log and cut into 12 rounds.
- Roll out each round to about 10cm diameter and place in the tin, pressing each into a cup shape slightly bigger than its hole.
- Set aside in the fridge for 30 mins.
- Preheat oven to 200C/Gas 6.
- Add the cooled custard and bake for 20-25 mins until golden.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 5 mins, then cool on a wire rack or eat warm sprinkled with icing sugar and ground cinnamon.