Norwegian apple cake
- 2 eggs
- 225g caster sugar
- 100g butter
- 150ml full cream milk (gold top, or the top of a bottle of silver top)
- 175g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 cooking apples
- Preheat oven to 200C/Gas 5. Grease and line a 25cm springform cake tin with greaseproof paper.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and 200g of the sugar together until thick, creamy and the whisk leaves a trail when it is lifted.
- Place the butter and milk in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Add this to the egg and sugar mixture, mixing to combine to a smooth batter.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder and cinnamon into the batter, folding it in carefully using a metal spoon. Pour batter into the cake tin.
- Core, quarter, peel (if you wish) and slice the apples and arrange over the batter.
- Sprinkle with the remaining sugar and bake for 20-25 mins until risen and golden.
- Serve warm with cream, or cool with Earl Grey tea.