No hassle apple strudel
- 6 sheets shop-bought filo pastry
- 75g butter
- 100g butter
- 50g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 600g cooking apples, peeled, cored and coarsely grated
- 50g raisins
- 50g currants
- 75g caster sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- To serve:
- Icing sugar, sieved
- To make the filling, melt half the butter in a pan add the breadcrumbs and fry until crisp and golden. Add the apples, raisins, currants, sugar, cinnamon and lemon zest and stir until fully combined. Set aside to cool.
- Spread a clean tea towel on a table, sprinkle with flour and place a sheet of filo on it. Brush with melted butter, top with another sheet of filo and brush with butter again. Keep going until you have 6 buttered layers.
- Spread the filling over the dough to within 2.5cm of the edges. Lift the two corners of the tea towel nearest to you and roll the dough away from you to make a strudel shape. Place on a greased baking sheet and brush with more melted butter.
- Bake for 20 mins at 200C/Gas 6 and turn heat down to 180C/Gas 4 for a further 30 mins. Dust with icing sugar and serve warm or cold with whipped cream.