- 4 large beetroot, peeled
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- freshly ground sea salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil + 1 tbsp butter
- 1 large onion
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 400ml vegetable stock
- 400ml milk or oat milk
- 2 tbsp hot horseradish sauce (more/less to your taste)
- 1-2 tbsp lemon juice (to your taste)
- Greek/oat yoghurt or crème fraîche
- sunflower seeds, chia or mixed seeds
- beetroot leaves and/or fresh mint
- Preheat oven to 200C/Gas 6.
- Peel and trim beetroot, cut into quarters and place in a roasting tray. Toss in olive oil and freshly ground sea salt, and roast for 25 mins or until tender.
- Melt butter and oil in a heavy-based saucepan, add onion, celery and garlic and sauté gently until tender (not coloured).
- Add beetroot and stock and simmer gently for 10-15 mins. Add milk, horseradish and lemon juice, adjust to taste, whiz with a stick blender until smooth, and simmer for another 5-10 mins.
- Serve with a dollop of Greek yoghurt or crème fraîche, a sprinkling of mixed seeds and fresh torn beetroot leaves or a little fresh mint.