Hungarian mushroom soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 450g mixed mushrooms, the nuttier the better, washed and diced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 600ml vegetable stock
- 200ml whole milk
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp fresh dill + a little to garnish
- 125ml soured cream
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ground black pepper
- Heat butter and oil in a large heavy-bottomed pan over a low heat, add onions and sauté for 10 mins or until softened.
- Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 mins.
- Add paprika and cornflour, and cook, stirring, for 2-3 mins.
- Add stock, milk, soy sauce and dill, cover and simmer for 15 mins.
- Check consistency – if it is thin, mix another 2 tsp cornflour with a little water in a cup, add and cook for another 4 mins or so.
- Stir sour cream through.
- Add lemon juice and season with freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve garnished with dill.