- 225g plain flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 50g unsalted butter
- 100g soft brown sugar
- 100g golden syrup
- royal icing sugar + water
- Heat oven to 190C/Gas 5.
- Line 2 baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- Sieve flour, salt, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and cinnamon into a large mixing bowl.
- Heat butter, sugar and syrup in a pan over a medium heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Allow to cool slightly and mix into dry ingredients, using a spoon then your hands to form a dough.
- Chill in the fridge for 30 mins.
- Lightly dust a surface with flour, roll out dough to a ½cm thickness.
- Stamp out shapes with a cutter. Place shapes on lined baking trays, allowing space to spread.
- Cook for 10-15 mins until golden, remove from oven and cool.
- Make royal icing with water according to pack instructions, fill a piping bag fitted with a narrow nozzle (or a disposable piping bag, snipping off the end) and pipe patterns.
- When icing is set, place in bags tied with ribbon.