- Quantities according to size and number of jars:
- Kilner or Mason jars
- high-proof spririts of your choice
- stone fruits of your choice
- white sugar
- First, select fruit and booze.
- Cherries are good in gin, apricots and plums like brandy, and nectarines go well with vodka.
- To sterilise jars, preheat oven to 180C/Gas 4.
- Wash jars and lids in hot soapy water.
- While still wet, stand upside down on a roasting tray, place in oven for 15 mins.
- Meanwhile, stone and quarter/halve fruit depending on size.
- Leave cherries (if using) whole.
- Fill each jar with fruit and pour sugar over until it comes about ¼ way up the jar.
- Top with your chosen spirit, leaving 1cm clear at the top.
- Seal jar and gently invert a few times to allow the sugar and liquid to mix.
- Put away in a cool, dark place for 3-4 weeks.
- Delicious served over muffins, on clafoutis, or with cream, your friends will be delighted to receive these jars as presents, tied with ribbon.
- Once opened, the fruit should be eaten within 2-3 days.