Summer fruit roulade
Author: Michelle Cowan and the Blagdon Bakehouse team at Blagdon Farm Shop
- 6 large egg whites
- 340g caster sugar
- 400ml double or whipping cream
- 300g mixed summer fruits of your choice (fresh or frozen)
- Preheat oven to 180C/Gas 4.
- In a large clean bowl whisk the egg whites with an electric whisk on full speed until very stiff.
- Gradually add the sugar 1 tsp at a time, whisking well on full speed between each addition.
- Continue whisking until all the sugar is incorporated and the mixture is extremely soft and glossy.
- Grease and line a 23cm x 33cm Swiss roll tin with non-stick baking parchment. Spread the mixture evenly over the base of the tin.
- Place in the oven and bake for 10 mins. Lower the temperature to 140C/Gas 1 and bake for a further 20 mins until firm to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and turn top down onto a sheet of non-stick paper. Remove the baking paper and leave to cool for about 10 mins.
- Lightly whip the cream and spread evenly over the cold meringue, then spread summer fruits over the cream.
- Using the baking parchment, roll lengthways or widthways (as you prefer) to make a roll.
- Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.