Spiced red cabbage
- 1 large red cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 red onions, diced
- 2 cooking apples, cored and diced
- zest of 1 orange
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 100g light soft brown sugar
- 300ml dry cider
- 3 tbsp cider vinegar
- 50g butter
- walnut quarters and apple slices to serve
- Place a layer of cabbage on the bottom of a large casserole dish and scatter over some onion, apple, spices, orange zest and sugar.
- Repeat layers to use all the ingredients. Pour over the cider and vinegar and dot all over with butter.
- Put on the hob over a medium heat, bring to a boil and simmer for 5 mins.
- Preheat oven to 150C/Gas 2.
- Cover dish and put in oven for 2 hours, stirring a couple of times, until the cabbage is softened.
- To serve on Christmas Day, reheat in the microwave and stir through a few slices of apple and walnut pieces.
- Cover and set aside to rest for 10 mins before serving.