Nectarine and fennel loaf cake
Author: Paula Watson, PureKnead
- 4g fennel seeds
- 4 nectarines, un-peeled
- 200g butter
- 200g sugar
- 4 eggs
- 200g self-raising flour
- sugar, to sprinkle
- honey, to drizzle
- apricot jam, to finish
- Place the fennel seeds on a tray and toast in the oven at 160C/Gas 3 for 5 mins.
- Finely dice two un-peeled nectarines and slice the other two, also leaving them unpeeled.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy Add the eggs one at a time, mixing between each one.
- Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl then gradually fold in the flour.
- Fold in the diced nectarines and half the fennel seeds.
- Pour the mixture into a buttered and lined 2lb loaf tin.
- Place the sliced nectarines on a tray with the remaining fennel seeds and sprinkle with sugar and honey.
- Place the loaf tin and the tray with the oranges in the oven and bake for 40 mins at 160C/Gas 3.
- Carefully spoon the sliced nectarines and syrup on top of the loaf and bake for a further 15-20 mins or until firm to the touch (or you can push a toothpick into the loaf - it’s done when it comes out clean).
- Brush warmed apricot jam over the top of the loaf to finish.