Brioche tear and share
Author: Paula Watson, PureKnead
- 275ml milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 sachet dried yeast
- 575g bread flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 90g sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 70g melted butter
- milk and egg mixture, to brush top
- apricot jam, to glaze
- icing made with orange juice and icing
- Dried fruit. Soak fruit the night before in orange juice and rum. Add zest too if you like. Before baking, brush the dough with 80g melted butter, sprinkle with sugar and scatter fruit over the top.
- Nutella and raspberry. Before baking, spread Nutella over the dough and sprinkle with raspberries.
- Lemon curd and blackberry. Before baking, spread lemon curd over the dough and scatter with blackberries.
- Warm milk and vanilla together in a pan over a low heat.
- Add yeast and set aside.
- Mix flour, salt and sugar in a bowl. Add the eggs, melted butter and milk/yeast/vanilla mixture.
- If using a stand mixer, place in the bowl and mix with the dough hook for a few minutes until smooth and elastic. If hand-kneading (be warned the dough may be quite wet), knead for 10 mins.
- Set dough aside, covered, for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- On a floured surface, roll out to a rectangle approx. 70cm x 40cm.
- Add your filling of choice (above) and roll the long edge to make log.
- Cut into 8-10 pieces and arrange in a well-greased 23cm cake tin.
- Brush the top with egg milk and bake at 180C/Gas 4 for approx. 40 mins until golden brown and crusty.
- Glaze with warmed apricot jam and drizzle with icing.
- Best eaten the day it is made.