Fruit tart with custard and crumble
Author: Matei Baran
- 1 sheet ready-made puff pastry
- 600ml full fat milk
- 1 vanilla pod
- 3 egg yolks
- 25g caster sugar
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 1 punnet mixed berries
- 50g flour
- 50g chilled butter, diced
- 50g oats
- 50g brown sugar
- edible flowers to garnish (optional)
- fruit coulis to garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 160C/Gas 3.
- Cut the puff pastry in half.
- Butter individual metal cookery rings and gently fold enough pastry into each to line it, forming little pastry cups.
- Place rings on a baking tray, prick pastry with a fork and bake in the oven for 15 mins.
- Set aside to cool then remove pastry from the rings, trimming any excess.
- For the custard, gently heat the milk with the vanilla pod until just boiling.
- In a bowl, mix the egg yolks, sugar and cornflour into a smooth paste.
- Add the milk and stir well.
- Strain the mixture into a clean saucepan and, stirring constantly, cook gently over a low heat until the custard thickens.
- Set aside to cool and refrigerate - overnight if possible or until set.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, butter, brown sugar and oats with your fingertips until you have a crumble.
- Place on a tray and bake in the oven for 8 mins.
- To assemble, ¾ fill each pastry case with the custard, arrange berries on top and sprinkle over some crumble mix. Garnish with edible flowers if available and garnish the plate with a little fruit coulis if you have it.