This mulled cider is a festive favourite and perfect to have handy for friends coming round – just prepare it the night before and reheat on the day.
Craig Harvey's Mulled Cider
- 1 tsp whole black peppercorns
- 10 cardamom pods
- 3 fresh bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken up
- 4 star anise
- 2 litres good cider
- 150g soft dark brown sugar
- 1 vanilla pod, split and scraped
- 1 orange, zest
- 150ml dark rum
- In a muslin bag, tie up the peppercorns, cardamom, bay leaves, cinnamon and the star anise.
- Place the bag in a pan with the cider, sugar and vanilla and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and leave to steep for 20 mins.
- Add the orange zest and rum.
- Remove from the heat and serve.