Chorizo and black pudding croquettes
Author: El Paso, Jesmond
- 100g chorizo
- 200g potatoes
- 100g black pudding
- freshly ground black pepper
- 50g flour
- 4 eggs
- 100-200g breadcrumbs
- Dice the chorizo and cook in a non-stick frying pan over high heat, stirring occasionally, for 3 mins or until crisp.
- Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Bring a pan of salted water to the boil.
- Peel and chop the potatoes into small chunks and add them to the pan.
- Cook the potatoes until tender but still firm (approx. 15 mins).
- Drain the potatoes and mash them (don’t add anything to the mash as this will make it harder to mould).
- Add the chorizo and black pudding and stir into the mash.
- Season well.
- Taking a tablespoon of mixture at a time, roll the mix into 8cm croquettes.
- Put the flour, beaten eggs and breadcrumbs onto separate plates.
- Roll each croquette in flour and shake off any excess.
- Dip each croquette into the beaten egg then into the breadcrumbs – repeat the last two steps to make sure there are no gaps in the coating.
- Deep fry the croquettes at 160C for 6-10 mins (depending on size). You can also fry the croquettes in a pan to colour the breadcrumbs and then cook them in an oven set to 180C/Gas4 for 10 mins.
- Once the croquettes are cooked, place them on some kitchen paper before serving with garlic or lemon mayo.