Chocolate and Amaretto bread and butter pudding
- 40g unsalted butter
- 8-10 brioche slices (1 or 2 days old)
- 150g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), roughly chopped
- 400ml whole milk
- 50ml double cream
- 75g golden granulated sugar
- 1 orange, zest
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 2 tbsp Amaretto
- 2 tbsp flaked almonds
- Grease a medium-sized (approx. 23cm) ovenproof dish.
- Butter the bread and overlap slices (or half slices), buttered side up, in the dish, scattering half the chocolate pieces between layers.
- Put milk, cream, remaining chocolate, sugar and orange zest in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water and warm gently, stirring, until the sugar has fully dissolved.
- Remove from heat.
- Place eggs in a large bowl and whisk.
- Slowly add milk mixture from the pan, whisking continually.
- Whisk in Amaretto.
- When smooth, pour batter over the bread and sprinkle over almonds.
- Set aside for 30 mins.
- Heat oven to 180C/Gas 4.
- Place dish on a baking tray and bake for 30 mins or until puffed up and set on top.
- Leave to stand for 5 mins then serve with double cream.