Calvados apple tart
- For the pastry
- 225g plain flour
- 110g butter, cut into chunks
- 80g sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- For the filling
- 4 dessert apples (about 700g)
- 2 large eggs
- 100g golden granulated sugar,
- plus 2 tbsp
- ¾ tsp vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- 250ml double cream
- 2½ tbsp calvados
- Make the pastry: Put flour in a large bowl, add butter and rub in until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in sugar, add beaten egg and mix to a soft dough (add a little milk if too dry).
- Wrap in clingfilm and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Grease a 23cm loose-bottomed cake tin. Remove pastry from fridge, roll out on a lightly floured surface and line the tin.
- Preheat oven to 180C/Gas 4.
- Peel and core apples, slice thinly and arrange over the pastry.
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs and sugar, add vanilla extract and salt, whisk in cream and calvados until smooth.
- Pour mixture over the apples and sprinkle over 2 tbsp sugar.
- Place in the oven and bake for 45-50mins until golden brown.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.