Bubble and squeak stack
Author: British Lion Eggs - www.eggrecipes.co.uk
- 3 tomatoes or 2 small vines of cherry tomatoes
- 300g leftover mashed potatoes, or cooked potatoes (roasted, boiled or baked)
- 150g cooked vegetables (a mix of cabbage, carrots and peas is ideal)
- 25g breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp Dijon or wholegrain mustard
- Salt and pepper
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- Heat oven to 190°C/170°C fan/ Gas 5 and line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper.
- Place the tomatoes on one side of the tray.
- In a large bowl, lightly mash the potatoes and vegetables together until you have a chunky mixture.
- Add breadcrumbs, mustard, season with pepper and crack in an egg.
- Stir well to form a soft but mouldable mixture.
- Divide the mixture into four, lightly flour your hands and roll each piece into a ball.
- Flatten slightly to make a patty.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large frying pan, add the patties and cook over a medium heat for 2-3 mins per side until deep golden.
- Transfer to the baking tray and bake with the tomatoes for 15 mins.
- When almost ready, wipe out the pan and add the remaining oil.
- Crack in the remaining eggs and fry over a medium-high heat for a few minutes, or until cooked to your liking.
- Stack two bubble and squeak cakes with a fried egg on top, add the tomatoes, and serve.