- 3 egg whites
- 175g caster sugar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 300ml whipping cream
- 400g blackberries
- Heat oven to 150C/Gas 2 and lay a piece of lightly oiled greaseproof paper on a large baking tray.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff.
- Add half the sugar and whisk until the mixture is stiff and shiny.
- Add the remaining sugar, cornflour, vanilla essence and lemon juice, and fold in gently using a metal spoon.
- Spread the mixture on the tray, forming a circle of about 18cm diameter, building up into a bowl shape.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 1¼ hrs-1½ hrs until firm.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool on the paper.
- Whip the cream and set aside 2 tbsp.
- Fold all the fruit apart from 2 tbsp into the cream and pile in the centre of the meringue.
- Top with remaining cream and fruit to serve.