Asparagus and bacon quiche
Author: Michelle Cowan and the Blagdon Bakehouse team at Blagdon Farm Shop
- For the pastry:
- 500g plain flour
- 250g unsalted butter
- 140ml water
- or 1 pack readymade shortcrust pastry
- For the filling:
- 1 bunch asparagus, woody ends snapped off
- oil for frying
- 125g bacon, chopped
- 400g extra mature cheddar
- 6 eggs
- 700ml whipping cream
- If you are making your own pastry, place the flour in a large mixing bowl. Rub in the butter until you have a soft breadcrumb consistency. Mix in water gradually to create a dough. Wrap in clingfilm and refrigerate for 30 mins before using.
- Preheat oven to 190C/Gas 5.
- Brush a frying pan with oil, add the asparagus, season with a pinch of salt and cook over a medium heat for 3 mins, turning. Remove from the pan and set aside. Add the bacon to the same pan and fry until browned.
- Place a 28cm x 4cm flan dish or loose-bottomed flan tray on a baking tray, roll out the pastry and use it to line the dish, leaving an excess overhanging the edges.
- Spread the cheese evenly over the pastry base, filling until the tin is about half full. Roll a rolling pin over the top to remove the excess pastry. Arrange the asparagus over the cheese and sprinkle the bacon on top.
- Mix eggs and whipping cream together and pour over the filling.
- Place in the oven and cook for 40 mins, rotate the tin 180 degrees and cook for another 10 mins until evenly golden.