- 125g plain flour
- 1 vanilla pod
- 2 large eggs
- 200ml whole milk
- 15g butter, melted, plus extra for cooking
- For the topping:
- 150ml orange juice
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- grated zest of 1 orange
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- seeds from 3 cardamom pods, crushed
- 30g butter, melted
- 2 apples, cored, quartered and sliced
- Sieve flour into a mixing bowl.
- Cut the vanilla pod in half and scrape the seeds into the flour, discarding the empty pod.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour and add the eggs.
- Gradually add the mlk and butter, mixing with a balloon whisk, to make a smooth batter.
- Set aside in the fridge for at least 30 mins.
- Heat a large frying pan, brush with melted butter, pour in a ladleful of the batter and swirl in the pan to make a thin pancake.
- Cook for 2 mins each side or until golden.
- Fold into quarters, place on a plate over a pan of simmering water and cover to keep warm.
- Repeat to make 4 large or 8 small pancakes, adding each to the warming plate.
- To make the apple sauce, place the orange juice, lemon and orange zest, sugar and crushed cardamom seeds in a frying pan and bring to the boil.
- Gradually add the melted butter, stirring.
- Add apple slices and warm through.
- Serve on top of the warm pancakes.