White onion and thyme velouté
- 100g unsalted butter
- 50ml vegetable oil
- 6 large white onions, finely sliced
- 1 head garlic, peeled and crushed
- 900ml vegetable stock
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
- 100ml double cream
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Melt butter and oil in a large pan.
- Add onions and sweat over a low heat, stirring occasionally for 20-25 mins until all the liquid has gone (don’t let onions colour).
- When onions are soft, add garlic.
- Add stock and thyme, bring to a boil then simmer for 10-15 mins.
- Remove thyme, blitz in a food processer until smooth then pass through a fine sieve into a clean pan.
- To serve, reheat velouté, add double cream and season as necessary.