- 700g mixed red summer berries
- 150g caster sugar
- ½ loaf white sliced bread
- Put the fruit and sugar in a heavy-based pan over a low heat.
- Stir occasionally until the fruit is tender and has produced juice.
- Sweeten to taste and leave to cool.
- Remove crusts from bread and use to line the bottom of a 1 litre pudding basin, cutting the bread to fit neatly.
- Cut more slices in fingers or triangles to fit around the sides of the bowl with no gaps.
- Half fill the bowl with fruit, cover with a layer of bread, add more fruit and cover with more bread.
- Spoon over the remaining juice to just fill the bowl.
- Keep any remaining juice.
- Put a small plate on top of the bread (fitting inside the rim of the bowl), weigh down with a 1kg weight and refrigerate overnight.
- To serve, place a serving plate on top of the bowl and invert both quickly.
- Lift off the basin and pour over any remaining juice to cover any white bits on the bread.
- Serve with whipped cream.