- 3 egg whites
- 175g caster sugar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 300ml whipping cream
- 400g summer fruits – red berries, cherries, peaches etc
- Heat the oven to 150C/Gas 2 and lay a piece of lightly oiled greaseproof paper on a large baking tray.
- Whisk egg whites until stiff. Sieve and whisk in half the sugar until the mixture is stiff and shiny.
- Sieve in the remaining sugar and cornflour and fold in with the vanilla essence and lemon juice.
- Spread the mixture in a circle of about 18cm diameter, building up into a bowl shape.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 1 ¼ hrs-1 ½ hrs until firm.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool on the paper.
- Whip the cream and set aside 2 tbsp.
- Fold all the fruit apart from 2 tbsp into the cream and pile in the centre of the meringue.
- Top with remaining cream and fruit and serve.