Shakshuka with feta
Author: Hexham Abbey - Bread (etc.) of Heaven: 100 Home Recipes
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large red pepper, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- pinch ground cayenne pepper
- 2 x 400g tins whole plum tomatoes
- with their juices, coarsely chopped
- salt and black pepper
- 150g feta, crumbled
- 6 large eggs
- fresh coriander, chopped
- North American hot sauce (Louisiana Chilli Hot recommended)
- Preheat oven to 190C/Gas 5.
- Heat oil in a large oven-proof pan over a medium heat.
- Add onion and red pepper, cook gently for 20 mins or until very soft.
- Add garlic, cook for 1-2 mins.
- Stir in cumin, paprika and cayenne, and cook for 1 min.
- Add tomatoes, season with ¾ tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper.
- Simmer for approx. 10 mins until the sauce has thickened.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Stir in crumbled feta.
- Make 6 indentations in the tomato mixture, gently crack eggs into them.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer pan to the oven, bake for 7-10 mins until the eggs are just set.
- Sprinkle with fresh coriander and serve with hot sauce.