Author: Catriona MacDougall, Cook Yourself Happier
- 75g brown rice
- 110ml boiling water
- splash olive oil
- 2 salmon fillets
- salt and pepper
- 1 lemon, juice
- knob of butter
- 2 hard-boiled eggs
- handful fresh parsley
- handful asparagus tips, blanched
- Place rice in a heavy-based saucepan. Pour over 110ml boiling water and a pinch of salt, add a close-fitting lid and place over a medium heat for 2 mins. Turn off heat and leave, covered (without lifting the lid) until all the water has been soaked up by the rice and the rice is softened (just leave it without lifting the lid – it will have ample time to cook by the time you want to add it to the recipe).
- Preheat oven to 180C/Gas 4. Heat a frying pan on a medium heat and add a little oil.
- Season the salmon fillets with salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice, add each to the pan, skin side down, and sear on each side.
- Remove the fish to a baking tray and place in the oven for 10 mins.
- Remove the salmon from the oven, allow to cool, and flake the flesh into chunks.
- In a large pan, gently heat the butter, then add the rice and heat very gently.
- Cut the boiled eggs into quarters and arrange in the pan amongst the rice with the fish and roughly chopped asparagus tips. Leave to heat very gently.
- Roughly chop some parsley and add to the pan. Season to taste with salt, pepper and lemon juice. Serve from the pan on the table, or carefully spoon onto plates.