Mushroom & leek pie
Author: Aimee Ryan for Wallflower Kitchen
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium leeks, trimmed and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 500g button mushrooms
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- pinch of salt and pepper
- For the sauce:
- 1 tbsp dairy-free butter
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 350ml dairy-free milk
- ⅛ tsp ground nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- 1 roll vegan puff pastry
- 2 tbsp dairy-free milk for glazing
- Put the olive oil in a large saucepan on a medium heat, add the leeks and garlic and soften for 2 mins.
- Add the mushrooms, herbs, salt and pepper and stir for 1 min.
- Cover with a lid and cook for 8 mins.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt the dairy-free butter on medium heat.
- Add the flour and stir until combined.
- Slowly add the milk, 1 tbsp at a time and whisk until you have a smooth thick mixture.
- Stir in the nutmeg and season with salt and pepper.
- Combine the cooked leeks and mushrooms with the sauce and leave to cool completely.
- Preheat your oven to 200C/Gas 6.
- Put the leek and mushroom mixture in a pie dish, roll out pastry and top the dish, cutting off any excess pastry around the edges.
- Crimp the edges using a fork and score a criss-cross pattern on the top with a sharp knife.
- Finally, dip a pastry brush in a little dairy-free milk and brush the top of the pie to help it brown.
- Cook for 25 mins until golden brown.
- Serve immediately.