Chef Graham Sharp of Longsands Fish Kitchen, Tynemouth, works within walking distance of North Shields Fish Quay, where he sources the best of the day’s catch for his menus.
Longsands, Front Street, Tynemouth, NE30 4DZ, tel 0191 272 855
- 2 live lobsters
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 shallot
- 2 red chillies
- 250g unsalted butter, soft
- 8 king scallops
- 8 king prawns
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 lemon
- Put the lobsters in a freezer for an hour to sedate them, then place on a chopping board and firmly insert the tip of a knife into the cross on the head to kill instantly.
- Place in boiling water for 6 mins then cool in iced water.
- When cool, lay on a board and split lengthways from head to tail.
- Remove the stomach sac in the head and the dark intestinal tract that runs the length of the tail.
- Tap claws firmly with the back of knife to release the meat and set aside.
- Blend garlic with a touch of oil. Finely dice the shallot and de-seeded chillies.
- Cook garlic, shallots and chillies in a pan then mix well with the butter.
- Set aside in the fridge.
- Chop the butter into chunks and place in a pan.
- Chop the lobster tail in half and place the claw in the butter.
- Gently poach until warm.
- Place the warm meat back in the shell.
- Warm a non-stick pan on the hob and cook scallops and prawns in a little oil.
- When they are golden brown, add a touch of butter and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Present them on top of the lobster.
- Spoon the remaining butter over the lobster and grill for a further minute.