Italian white bean and kale soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 sticks celery, sliced
- 1 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 litres water
- 400g tin haricot beans, drained, rinsed
- 400g tin cannellini beans, drained, rinsed
- 200g kale, washed, trimmed and torn
- fresh parmesan, to garnish
- Heat the oil in a pan over a medium heat, add the onion and garlic and cook gently, stirring, until the onion softens.
- Add the carrot and celery and cook for a further 5 mins, then add the tomatoes and water, combine and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for 15 mins.
- Add the drained beans and the kale, season with salt and pepper, and simmer for a further 15 mins.
- Serve in bowls with a little grated parmesan.