Rhian Craddock, chef-proprietor of The Feathers Inn, Northumberland, shares dishes which have brought his pub multiple awards, including The Good Food Guide’s Local Restaurant of the Year 2019, The Good Pub Guide’s County Dining Pub of the Year 12 times 2007-2019, and The Michelin Guide Inspectors’ Favourite 12 times 2007-2019.
The Feathers, Hedley-on-the Hill, Stocksfield, NE43 7SW, tel 01661 843 607, www.thefeathers.net
- 2 large onions or 2 large bunches spring onions
- 500g young nettles/bistort/young dandelions/wild garlic or a mixture
- 100g oatmeal
- 50g butter or bacon fat
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and clean the leaves and remove the stalks.
- Chop the onions.
- Fry the vegetables in the butter until tender.
- Add the oatmeal and cook for about 20 mins, stirring to prevent the mixture from sticking.
- Serve like a thick sauce with some ham, pork or bacon.