- 200g dried mixed fruit
- 500g soft prunes
- 150ml dark rum
- finely grated zest and juice of 1 unwaxed lemon
- 100ml apple juice
- 75g vegetarian suet
- 75g dark brown sugar
- 75g plain flour
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 50g white breadcrumbs
- 50g mixed nuts, roughly chopped
- 1 large egg
- Stir the rum into the dried fruit and half the prunes. Leave overnight.
- Grease a 1.2 litre pudding basin and line the base with a disc of greaseproof.
- Whiz remaining prunes to a chunky paste in a food processor with the lemon and apple juice.
- Mix with the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl.
- Put mix in the pudding basin, cover with a greaseproof disc topped with foil, pleated in the centre and tied with string.
- Sit on an upturned saucer in a deep pan, add hot water halfway up the side of the bowl.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 4½ hours, topping up with water if needed.