Bouche de Noel
- 4 eggs
- 100g caster sugar
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 100g plain flour
- 25g cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp hot water
- Buttercream: 200g butter; 200g icing sugar; 1 tbsp milk; vanilla extract 200g rich dark chocolate (at least 70% cocoa solids)
- Grease and line a 23cm x 33cm Swiss roll tin.
- Preheat oven to 200C/Gas 6.
- Beat eggs and vanilla extract with sugar until light and creamy.
- Sieve flour and cocoa and gently fold into the egg mix using a metal spoon.
- Gently stir in the hot water and pour the batter into the tin, gently smoothing the top.
- Bake for 8-10 mins until the cake springs back when lightly pressed.
- Turn out onto a piece of greaseproof paper dredged with caster sugar.
- Trim edges and roll into a sausage shape.
- Leave to cool wrapped in the paper.
- Cream butter and icing sugar and add the milk and vanilla extract.
- Gently melt the chocolate and beat into the mixture.
- When the sponge is cool, unroll it carefully, spread with buttercream, and roll up again.
- Cover the top and sides with buttercream and decorate with holly or cranberries and rosemary.