Cherry and Almond Cake
Author: Anna Hedworth
- 2 handfuls cherries
- 150g butter
- 225g self-raising flour
- 225g caster sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- ¼ tsp almond essence
- Halve and stone the cherries and line a regular cake tin with greaseproof paper.
- Heat your oven to 160C/Gas 3.
- Melt the butter in a pan and set it aside to cool slightly.
- Combine the flour, caster sugar and baking powder in a bowl.
- Then beat 2 eggs and the almond essence together in another small bowl.
- Finally, combine the flour mix, butter and egg mix.
- Bring it together with a spatula to make quite a thick batter-like consistency and keep mixing until it is smooth.
- Then add ¾ of the mix to the cake tin and spread it out (you will think it seems like not very much but don’t worry).
- Then lay the cherries over the mix in an even layer and add the final ¼ of the mix to the centre of the cake on top of the cherries.
- Quickly pop it in the oven and bake for 50 mins.