Burgundy pot roast
- 1.5kg topside of beef
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 25g butter
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 150ml Burgundy
- 150ml beef stock
- bouquet garni
- 1 bay leaf
- Preheat oven to 160C/Gas 3.
- Season the joint well with salt and pepper.
- Heat butter in a flame-proof casserole dish and sear the meat on all sides.
- Remove meat and set aside.
- Add onion, carrots, celery and garlic to the pan and cook for 5 mins.
- Put the meat on top of the vegetables, pour the wine and stock over, add a bouquet garni and a bay leaf, season lightly, cover and cook for 2-21/2 hours.
- When cooked, place meat on a serving dish and spoon vegetables around.
- Remove bouquet garni and bay leaf.
- Place pan over a medium heat and reduce cooking liquor until slightly thickened.
- Pour over the meat or serve separately.
- Serve with mashed potato and buttered greens.