Blueberry & beetroot porridge with chopped walnuts
Start the day right with this colourful breakfast of blueberry and beetroot porridge, packed full of antioxidants and guaranteed to power you through the day.
- 470ml water
- 100g rolled oats
- ¼ tsp cinnamon (plus more for serving)
- 200g blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 3-4 tbsp maple syrup (to taste)
- 2 large cooked beetroot, chopped
- yoghurt (oat or milk) and chopped walnuts to serve
- Bring the water to a boil in a medium-sized saucepan, add the rolled oats and cinnamon, reduce the heat and simmer for 10-15 mins, stirring occasionally, until all the water is absorbed.
- While the oats are cooking, in a separate pan combine the blueberries, maple syrup and a pinch of salt.
- Cover the pan and place on a medium heat.
- Bring the mixture to the boil then uncover and allow the blueberries to cook gently until soft and the juice around the berries is thick (about 10 mins).
- Add the chopped beetroot and continue cooking until beet is hot.
- Put the oatmeal and blueberry-beet sauce in bowls.
- Serve with plain oat or milk yogurt and chopped walnuts.