Author: Catriona Macdougall
- For the shortcrust pastry:
- 200g plain flour
- 175g caster sugar
- 200g butter cut into cubes
- 1 egg yolk
- For the filling:
- 250ml milk
- 1 vanilla pod split
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 100ml double cream
- For the pastry, pop all the ingredients apart from the yolk in a food processor and blend.
- Add the yolk and whiz until it forms a soft ball of dough.
- Wrap in cling film and refrigerate for 20 mins.
- Line individual tart cases with pastry, cover with greaseproof paper and baking beans.
- Bake at 180C/Gas 4 for 10 mins.
- Remove beans and pop back in the oven for 5 mins until golden brown.
- Leave to cool.
- For the filling, gently heat the milk and vanilla pod in a pan.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the egg yolks, sugar and flour.
- Pour the warm milk over the egg mixture and then sieve into a clean saucepan.
- Return to the heat, whisking until thickened.
- Once cool, whip the cream, fold it into the custard mix, fill the tart cases and top with fresh raspberries.