Cranberry meringue roulade with Cointreau orange cream
- For the meringue:
- 5 egg whites
- 275g caster sugar
- 50g flaked almonds
- For the filling:
- 250g fresh cranberries
- 100g caster sugar
- ½ orange, grated zest and juice
- 300ml double cream
- 3 tbsp Cointreau
- Preheat oven to 200C/Gas 6.
- Line a 35cmx23cm Swiss roll tin with lightly greased baking parchment.
- Whisk the egg whites until very stiff, then gradually add the sugar.
- Spread into the tin and sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake for 10 mins then reduce heat to 160C/Gas 3 and cook for a further 15 mins.
- Remove from the oven and turn almond side down on to a sheet of baking parchment and leave to cool.
- To make the filling, place the cranberries in a pan with the sugar, orange juice and zest and simmer until softened and syrupy.
- Allow to cool.
- To assemble, whisk the cream and Cointreau until it stands in soft peaks.
- Spread the cool cranberry mixture evenly over the roulade, then the cream.
- Roll up from the long end fairly tightly (don’t worry if it cracks a little) place on a plate and chill before serving.