- 12 tortillas (15cm)
- ½ small white cabbage, shredded
- 1 avocado, stoned, peeled, sliced
- Cholula hot sauce
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp soured cream
- Salsa Mexicana:
- 2 large tomatoes, seeded, diced
- ½ red onion, finely diced
- handful chopped coriander
- 1 green chilli, finely diced
- ¼ tsp salt
- juice of 1 lime
- 200g plain flour
- pinch salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 275ml ice cold Corona lager
- 600g monkfish fillet, trimmed
- 100g seasoned flour
- 1ltr vegetable oil
- Warm tortillas in a dry frying pan or microwave.
- Prepare toppings – shredded cabbage, diced avocado and hot sauce - and set aside.
- Mix mayo and soured cream for the crema and set aside.
- For the salsa, mix all the ingredients in a bowl, starting with half the lime juice and adding more to taste.
- For the batter, sift flour, salt and baking powder into a bowl and whisk to incorporate the beer until smooth.
- Cut fish into strips about 1cm thick and heat oil to 190C in a pan or fryer.
- Dip fish in the seasoned flour, shake off excess, dip into the batter and fry in batches for 2–2½ mins until crisp and golden.
- Drain on kitchen paper, sprinkle lightly with salt, and serve immediately in warm tortillas with the toppings on the table so your guests can help themselves.