Manchego, honey cooked bacon and almond salad
Author: Peter Sidewell for St Lawrence Gold
- 1 tbsp St Lawrence Gold Organic Canadian Prairie Wildflower Honey
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- salt and black pepper
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 fennel bulbs, trimmed and halved, any fronds chopped and reserved
- 6 rashers smoked streaky bacon
- 2 tbsp Blanched almonds
- 2 tbsp honey
- 50g rocket leaves or pea shoots
- 120g Manchego cheese, shaved into ribbons
- Start by making the dressing - whisk the honey, mustard and lemon juice together with a pinch of salt and pepper. Slowly add the oil to make a thick dressing. Finish by whisking in 1 tbsp water to lighten the consistency.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the fennel in half and slice into thin pieces, and add to the dressing.
- Lay the bacon rashers flat in a dry frying pan and place it over a medium heat. Once the bacon begins to turn golden underneath, turn it over and cook for a couple of minutes more.
- Add the almonds and drizzle with St Lawrence Gold Organic Canadian Prairie Wildflower Honey, turning them often and cooking for a minute or two more, until deeply caramelised and glazed.
- Combine the sliced fennel with the rocket and any chopped fennel fronds, then toss with a few spoonfuls of dressing, then turn out onto a plate.
- Gently shave the Manchego on top of the salad, and add the bacon and almonds.